You read all kinds of stories about the effects of lemon with bakingsoda. But what does it actually do and it’s a good idea to do this every day? ELLE’s health expert Sophia Sorgen explains.
Our yellow friend
Lemons are one of your best friends for your health. There antibacterial substances are in going against both bacterial and fungal infections. They also do battle with parasites, they regulate blood pressure, stimulate the lymphatic system and they happen bomblet are full of vitamin C.
Coupled with a tiny bit of baking soda (also known as sodium bicarbonate) in a glass of boiled water, you have a top team. Baking soda is a natural product and can be used for many different things. You can use it as a cleaning agent or to whiten your teeth just to name a few. Online you get many articles and blog posts with a variety of claims that this combination is the miracle cure for cancer or other diseases. I think you should be very careful with statements and claims. But that does not mean that the combination of baking soda and lemon is way to clean your body of toxins. But as always, be mindful, start slowly and see how you like it.
How does it work?
Take a large glass of boiled water, squeeze a half lemon in it and stir in a small teaspoon baking soda through. Drink it through a straw to protect your tooth enamel and make sure you after half an hour nothing to eat or drink, so everything is absorbed by your body and the effect is not diminished by the combination with other foods.
Even more baking soda
– Use it as a facial and body scrub.
– Add a cup to your bath water for a softer skin.
– Relieves itching from insect bites, pain from a sunburn and irritation.
– Remove strong odor from your hands through the scrub with baking soda.
– Heartburn? Take a teaspoon of baking soda mixed with half a glass of water.
– Refresh your mouth with baking soda mixed with half a teaspoon to gargle with water.
– Relieve the pain of canker sores by using it as a mouthwash.
– Want to open a stuffy nose? Add a little baking soda into a spray bottle.
Lots of love,
Do you have a question about nutrition and how it works or want to know whether something is real or a nutrition myth? Send an email to email@example.com o.v.v. “Sophia Sorgen” and Sophia might answer your question in a future blog.